Skip to main content
Key Additional Resources
Key Additional Resources
- The Library Leadership and Management Association’s Buildings and Equipment Section (LLAMA BES) brings together librarians and design professionals to analyze, discuss, and share information related to academic, public, and school library buildings, equipment, and furnishings. Topics addressed include, but are not limited to: library site selection, building planning and architecture; library furniture and equipment; interior design; maintenance and security of buildings and property; and disaster recovery. LLAMA BES includes the Buildings for College and University Libraries Committee, which is specifically devoted to academic libraries. There is a new discussion group: BES-L listserv http://www.ala.org/llama/committees/bes/news
- A search across ALA brings up ten pages of building related materials, from assessment to construction, many of which are available online: http://www.ala.org/search-results?as_q=building%20design%20library
- ALA Library Fact Sheet 11: Building Libraries and Library Additions: A Selected Annotated Bibliography http://www.ala.org/tools/libfactsheets/alalibraryfactsheet11
- Buildings and Signage http://wikis.ala.org/professionaltips/index.php/Buildings
- Librarians are excellent about sharing information on listservs. For queries to others about studies, examples, etc., planners could post questions to: INFOCOMMONS-L@listserv.binghamton.edu To subscribe or view archives, see: http://listserv.binghamton.edu/scripts/wa.exe?A0=INFOCOMMONS-L.
- Philip D. Leighton and David C. Weber, Planning Academic and Research Library Buildings, 3rd Edition, ALA, 1999.
- Libris Design Planning Documentation http://www.librisdesign.org/ (Note: Provides downloadable publications on specific library design needs such as shelving, lighting, sustainable design, etc.)
- EDUCAUSE Learning Space Rating System (LSRS) http://www.educause.edu/eli/initiatives/learning-space-rating-system
- Whole Building Design Guide: Academic Library http://www.wbdg.org/design/academic_library.php
- Society for College and University Planning (SCUP) http://www.scup.org/page/index
- International Federation of Library Associations and Institutions (IFLA): Library Buildings and Equipment Section http://www.ifla.org/en/library-buildings-and-equipment
- Susan Gibbons and Nancy Foster,eds., Studying Students: The Undergraduate Research Project at the University of Rochester. Chicago: American Library Association, 2007. http://www.alastore.ala.org/detail.aspx?ID=2322
- William W. Sannwald. Checklist of Library Building Considerations, 6th ed. Chicago: American Library Association, 2016
- Christopher Stewart, Building with Purpose: A Quantitative Overview and Analysis of New U.S. Academic Library Construction, 2000–2014 An ACRL Occasional Report Chicago: American Library Association. www.ala.org/acrl/sites/ala.org.acrl/files/.../stewart_building.pdf
- Several studies by Shill & Tonner are still often cited on usage themes: Shill, H. B., & Tonner, S. (2003). Creating a Better Place: Physical Improvements In Academic Libraries, 1995-2002. College & Research Libraries , 64(6), 431-466. Shill, H. B., & Tonner, S. (2004). Does the Building Still Matter?Usage patterns in new, expanded and renovated libraries,1995- 2002. College & Research Libraries , 65(2), 123-150
- Donald A Barclay, Eric D Scott . The Library Renovation, Maintenance, and Construction Handbook.
New York, NY: Neal-Schuman Publishers; 2011.