1. Serves as an officer of the section and assists in advancing the goals and objectives of the Section in accordance with ACRL strategic directions and priorities.
2. As a member of the STS Executive Committee, attends meetings of the committee at the ALA Annual Conference, including those at the Annual Conference immediately preceding the taking of office.
3. Appoints an STS Nominating Committee that is responsible for producing a slate of candidates for section office. The STS Past-Chair will serve as the Chair of the Nominating Committee, and recommends members to the Vice-Chair to appoint to the Committee. The Section Vice-Chair may not be a member of the Nominating Committee (see ALA Bylaws, Article III, Section 1.a).
4. May serve as a member of the STS Conference Program Planning Committee according to Section bylaws.
5. If a program will be planned, a Conference Program Planning Committee and Co-chairs should be appointed that is responsible for planning the Section's program at the Annual Conference during year as Section Chair. The newly elected Vice-Chair may serve on this committee beginning in July/August of their Vice-Chair year.
6. Makes appointments to all other Section committees for terms beginning when term as Section Chair begins.
7. Appoints Co-chairs of ongoing and newly formed task forces.
8. Submits Section's budget requests for year as Chair by deadline.
9. Responds to inquiries from members and non-members regarding Section interests and activities.
10. Co-represents (along with Section Chair) the Section on the ACRL Communities of Practice Assembly (CoPA).
11. Attends and participates in ACRL CoPA sessions (usually held Friday afternoons at the ALA Annual Conference).
|May (for newly-elected Vice Chair/Chair-Elect)||Receive written notification from ACRL about election results. Complete membership roster enclosed. Respond to invitation to attend ACRL new Chair Orientation and CoPA (Communities of Practice Assembly) meeting (held Friday afternoon before the ALA Annual Conference).|
|July 1||Begin term of office|
|August (or by requested deadline)||Submit introductory letter to Newsletter Editor for inclusion in fall issue of STS Signal.|
|September (or by announced deadline)||Submit proposals for next year's Annual Conference programs (with STS Conference Program Planning Committee Co-chairs)|
|December||Solicit volunteers for committee assignments.|
|January||Remind new and renewing committee members to fill out the ACRL Volunteer Form.|
|January||Appoint Nominating Committee (based on recommendations from Section Past-Chair) for election two years out and ask all appointees to complete the ACRL Volunteer Form. The Past-Chair will serve as Chair of the Nominating Committee. (Advisable to make appointments when the system is ready for input around late January.)|
|January||Appoint Program Planning Committee Co-chairs and Committee members for Annual two years hence, and ask all appointees to complete the ACRL Volunteer Form.|
|February-March||Review completed volunteer forms.|
|April||Finalize committee appointments, changes, additions, deletions.|
|April||Invite new and continuing committee Co-chairs to attend the New Chair Orientation (scheduled after the ALA Annual Conference).|
|April||Contact list owner for STS-C (part of Publicity Committee) to ensure addition of new Co-chairs immediately after the ALA Annual Conference.|
|May||Send STS Signal Editor letter for inclusion in spring issue of STS Signal.|
|Annual Conference||Attend ACRL CoPA (Communities of Practice Assembly) sessions.|
|Annual Conference||Discuss with the Chair the work and direction of the Section and any specific responsibilities that have been assumed by committee members.|
|Annual Conference||Begin to work with STS Development Task Force to find sponsors at this point for extra speaker fees and programming for the next year.|
|Following the Annual Conference||New and continuing Committee Co-chairs attend the New Chair Orientation, a meeting led by the Vice-Chair/Chair-Elect, held after the ALA Annual Conference.|